Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Pickling Peppers

Fresh peppers from the garden can mean only one thing...it's time to try pickling peppers. After researching recipes online, seeking advice on Facebook, and asking family members for advice it is time to start pickling!


 Cut up your jalapenos (with gloves on!) or you will have burning hands for days...I decided to add onions and carrots to the mason jars for added flavor, color, and texture.

I filled half of the jar with water and the other half with apple cider vinegar (check website at the bottom for a very cool, easy way to do this without measuring.  I poured the liquid mixture into a hot pan, while heating I also added garlic and pickling spice to the liquid.

After heating the mixture to a boil (and  opening up mine and Sarah's sinuses).  I poured the mixture    back into the mason jars and put the lids on tight to start the sealing process.  I put the mason jars in a pot of boiling hot water for about 30 minutes until the lids were sealed tightly and not popped up.  I set them on a hot pad and left them alone to settle for a couple days.
                                                      
The finished product should be left to sit for 4-6 days and settle.  This batch was a little too sweet with too much pickling spice, but the jalapenos still packed some heat.  Overall, they were very good!  Next time I will use more vinegar, more salt/garlic, and less pickling spice.  I'm looking very forward to doing this again, it was a lot of fun!

Ideas and recipe courtesy of: The Purple Foodie - http://purplefoodie.com/pickled-jalapenos/
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment